Friday, May 7, 2010

Ralph Macchio will always be the Karate Kid.


I'm old. I thought I'd be ok with remakes of things I watched as a kid, but apparently I'm not. Ralph Macchio knocked out 3 Karate Kid movies and I know I watched each of them at least 10 times. Hillary Swank came in as The Next Karate Kid. That one was ok. Swank's Praying Mantis kick seemed totally unreasonable in an actual fight. So did Macchio's Crane kick and Chosen proved it in Karate Kid part 2. So I wonder what "kick" will Jayden Smith pull off to make me want to watch it.

As I see it right now, Jackie Chan as the "new" Mr. Miyagi is good enough for me. When all seems lost in a martial arts film, trust in Jackie Chan. But something isn't right here... Jackie Chan does kung fu, not karate. This version of The Karate Kid is in China, not California or Japan... I think I got cheated. Why not call it The Kung Fu Kid? The Szechuan Son? The Hong Kong Kid? Bejing Boy?..... What do you think? If you were in the boardroom while they were trying to figure out a name for this version of The Karate Kid, what would you have come up with?

And if anyone is wondering, I'm still gonna go see it with popcorn, cherry coke and a pack of twizzlers. Happy Birthday to me...

*Picture from Rottentomatoes.com

The "Newest" Karate (but actually kung fu) Kid Trailer

2 comments:

ryq said...

I'm OK with it, I too loved the originals parts 1-3 didn't care to watch the fourth one. I was in 4th grade and my mom got me the Karate Kid bandanna but I never wore it, I was scared to get beat up by looking foolish :) Will Smith's son is a great actor so I know he will do great in this role. He has a natural ability (no surprise there) going from his previous movies(Day Earth Stood Still, Pursuit of Happiness).

Anonymous said...

I'll for the DVD on this one but it should be pretty good.