Thursday, May 27, 2010

Breakfast at Subway? Let me think about it.


Gone are the days where people took time to make breakfast. Actually, they aren't gone. We've opted for a few extra minutes of sleep, a couple extra minutes in the shower and a lot more time commuting.

So here we are, filing through the drive-thru of various fast food chains trying to get a little something before work. It's breakfast, how bad can it be? My "usual" at McDonald's consists of 2 sausage burritos and a large orange juice. I found out that each sausage burrito is 300 calories. Needless to say I wanted to try a healthier option so I went to Subway.

I settled on the steak, egg and cheese 6 inch sub. The worker says "White or Yellow?" I said white bread. She says "No, egg. White or yellow?" I picked the "yellow" egg. Out comes an egg slab that is placed on the sub. She pulls out a scale and measures how much of the steak slivers to put on the sub. Then applies what looks to be the white american cheese slices and a small amount of shreaded cheddar cheese. Apparently I don't get to choose that part. I requested some red onions on top before it went into the hyper oven and that request was granted. That's all I really thought to put on it.

The taste? I tasted toasted bread. I couldn't taste the egg. The steak, red onions and cheese weren't that bad and that was a decent combo of cheeses. Was it filling? Yes. Would I buy it again? I'll have to think of a better combination of accessories for it(adding green peppers and tomato). At 490 calories, I can't complain. For dieting purposes, I'd eat it again. For enjoyment, I'll wake up a little earlier and make breakfast at home.

*photo from Subway.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is not anything better that making your own breakfast at home when you know everything is fresh and nothing fake is in it...

Unknown said...

Healthier alternative, a fruit smoothie.

Pick any of 4 or so fruits toss them in a blender (I use a HealthMaster).

Put enough fruit juice, OJ or apple depending on fruit choices and your taste buds.

I add some oatmeal for increased fibre and 2 raw eggs for protein, enzymes, and glutathione.

This is loaded with enzymes, fiber and gets your day started with 4 or so of your 3 to 5 servings of fresh fruits and veggies.

You can drink this down fast, or take it with you for an on the run meal. Clean up is about 30 seconds. I will race anyone going to a "fast food" place, I can do all this in about 3 to 5 minutes. You think fast food is any faster it is not! Been doing this for months now and never get mid morning hunger cravings.

For an even better way to do this, put fruit in smaller ice cube size chunks in the freezer the night before. This makes a nice cool drink. Don't just do this for breakfast. : ) Great pick me up after work and include a few veggies with the fruit. You'd pay a lot at a store for this, but this way it is pennies.