Monday, August 22, 2011

Have food fight, will travel.


It was 1994 at a Boy Scout camp. I was dinged with a tater tot and then a piece of cantaloupe during breakfast. The scout next to me tried to get away from the onslaught so he stood up in a quick motion knocking me backwards off the picnic table bench. As I was going down, I picked up the bowl of grits and tossed it in the general direction of the offending scouts. It hit their scout leader. What happened next was a food fight you only see in movies.

Even after having to apologize and spend half a day cleaning the mess hall, that was fun. So much so that I would do it again. Eggs in a sling shot, punkin chunkin (throwing pumpkins), baked bean bombs and the ever so classic, pie to the face. These actions bring out the most immature, carefree laugh I could ever get. And that's why I would love to take a trip to Spain for the La Tomatina festival.

In it's basic form, La Tomatina revolves around throwing tomatoes at everyone in 1 to 2 hour increments. A huge truck drives down the street dumping tomatoes out which are immediately thrown at by spectators or tossed up into the air in celebration. Bring a pair of goggles and prepare to get messy. Check out the video here.

In Gloucestershire, England, they have an annual Cheese rolling event where participants chase a rolling cheese wheel down a hill. I'm sure it's fun to compete, but being a spectator would provide for all the entertainment you'd need. See the video here.

Is there a crazy food festival that you have always wanted to attend? Tell us about it and plan your next trip with ma|Travel!

*Image from Juanjo Valverde/MSNBC

World's weirdest food festivals