Friday, July 30, 2010

Take 5: Duane McLaughlin


If you need to be inspired, stand next to Duane McLaughlin. In person, McLaughlin carries himself with a calm, relaxed and positive demeanor. On his Facebook Fan Page, he posts a "Motivator of the Day" message. His "Everyday Joe" persona hides the fact that he has excelled at modeling, acting and singing. At the Market America International Convention 2010, you will get to see him perform live.

1. As a singer, model and actor, which one do you identify with the most? How about when you wake up? Driving? What about on the couch relaxing?

(Laughter) I identify with them all. Last I recall they were all the same person. (Laughter) No but seriously, I try to be myself in every situation I am involved in. That is the only way I can truly enjoy what I am doing.

2. What was it like to be Dallas Griffin on As The World Turns?

It was an amazing life experience that I was blessed to have. Some of the best years of my life were spent on that set. It’s interesting; soap opera work is not as easy as some may perceive it to be.

Everyday we filmed a new episode, sometimes two. I can recall several instances when I would show up for work at 6AM and had to memorize 10 pages of new material in one hour. At times such as those it wasn’t the best feeling, but when the episodes aired a month later, you really appreciated the hard work put in. I thank God for that opportunity.

3. What song do you identify with the most and will you be performing it at convention?

Truthfully, I identify with them all. They each touch a part of my life that that is still relevant. That’s the beauty of motivational music. Our lives are forever coping with highs and lows, and for either, we learn something that we did not know before. No matter what obstacles arise, motivation will always help you to persevere. I will be performing three songs from the I Believe: Market America Concert Series, I’m very excited.

4. Every artist goes through trials and tribulations. What was a notable one of yours?

Trials and tribulations are things we all must go through. As an artist, I sometimes struggle with impatience. I believe that my passion for music is something that I have been given for a specific purpose, and it can be difficult at times when I must be patient and allow the purpose to manifest.

5. What was your most embarrassing moment on stage and what did you learn from it?

(Laughter) The journey has been…very interesting I must say. My most embarrassing moment would have to be my very first live performance. I was so young, seven or eight maybe, and my mother hosted a local talent showcase for a benefit in Queens, New York. I had never performed in front of an audience, and prior to that day I was so sure it would be easy. For anyone who has never performed in front of an audience, there’s a thing called stage fright you definitely want to look out for.

Anyway, my talent was singing, and for two weeks I rehearsed the song I Believe by Frank Sinatra. I promise you, I am not making this up! The connection with Sinatra’s I Believe is completely coincidental! Well as the night went on, more and more people were showing up. It was as if they never stopped coming through the doors.

I can remember sitting as close to the bathroom as I possibly could. I had made the decision that when that dreadful moment came where my name was called, I was running inside and locking the door, that was the plan. As my mother took center stage in this quaint neighborhood-catering hall, there were at least 200 people in the audience and kids everywhere, mostly my age. I wasted no time, before my name could even leave her lips I dashed for the bathroom, only to find the door locked from the inside. My only other option was the women’s bathroom next door.

I burst through without hesitation. I could hear my mother over the speakers calling me repeatedly to the stage. But I was not going anywhere. Then I heard someone outside say I was in the bathroom. I was trapped with nowhere to hide. Unfortunately there was a woman using the single stall, and I was desperate. So here I am, this little kid dressed in the tackiest suit you could find, crawling underneath and into a bathroom stall while a woman is doing her business!

Between her scream and my mother’s scream when she arrived in the bathroom, I don’t know which was worse. But neither mattered because my mother made sure I got up on that stage and sang that song, and surprisingly….they all loved it. All but that woman I ran in on I’m sure.


Want to see video and know more about Duane McLaughlin?

DuaneMcLaughlin.com
Twitter.com/DuaneMcLaughlin
Facebook/TheDuaneMcLaughlin

0 comments: